The old Talbott school building was a two room school building when it was built in 1920. The first year of classes started in 1921, having four grammar grades in each room. In 1922, two additional rooms were added for high school, however, the school later failed to meet state requirements for high school and high school students. The students were then transported to Jefferson City High.
The first school in the Talbott Community was called Mt. Pleasant School. In 1921, the citizens of Talbott saw a need for a new, more centrally located school building. The citizens became very interested and involved. The people were so anxious and excited they raised $4,000 and volunteered free work to build Talbott Elementary School, and a brick kiln was made where the building is now standing. That same year, the school opened as a four room school that accommodated first through tenth grades. There were four teachers elected to the Talbott School, with D.W. Kinsey of Maryville being the first principal of the school. Some people today still remember the horses and shovels that were used in the construction of the school and the enthusiasm shown from the people of the community. In 1933, the ninth and tenth grade students were moved to the Jefferson County High School , leaving the Talbott school as a grammar school. This small school served the community until 1963. At this time, the presently known Talbott Elementary School opened with five teachers and serving grades 1-8.